I’m getting my Saturday Morning Baker on this dreary day. And let me start by saying I hate fake banana flavour. HATE IT. It’s feral. So. No fake banana essence, please. I can’t help you if you do. This (dead easy) recipe would be equally as good with pecans, walnuts or macadamias instead of pine nuts.
It is fab for both kids and adults (even without a splash of rum in the caramelised “nuts”) *cough*.
- 1/3 cup pinenuts (or other nuts at your disposal).
- 1 tsp butter
- 2 1/2 cups self-raising flour
- 3/4 cup brown sugar (+ 1tsp extra for the caramelised nuts)
- 1 tsp ground ginger
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 2 ripe bananans
- 1 egg
- 1 cup milk
- 2 tbsp margarine
- 1 tsp vanilla essence
- Set oven to 180 degrees.
- To make caramelised pine nuts, place nuts, 1 tsp sugar and 1 tsp butter in a pan.
- On medium heat, cook, stirring until sugar is dissolved and nuts are toasted. Set aside and let cool.
- Blend bananas, egg, milk, margarine and vanilla essence and set aside.
- In a large bowl, mix flour, 3/4 cup brown sugar, cinnamon, ginger and the cooled nuts.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry and stir until just combined.
- Divide mixture into 12 muffin pans and bake for 20-25 minutes.
- Cool on a rack before eating the sh*t out of these things. They are delish.
FREEZABLE! These little guys can also be wrapped individually and frozen for the kids’ lunch box.